My Dad's 406 & 407

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
DeirdreLovelace

My Dad's 406 & 407

Post by DeirdreLovelace »

IMG_2766.JPEG
IMG_2766.JPEG (367.51 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Hello, Mitchell Reel aficionados! My Dad was an avid fisherman but sadly passed away 8 years ago. Thankfully, my son has also fallen in love with the sport. He is currently a rising sophomore at Penn State University's College of AgSciences, working to obtain his Bachelor of Science in Wildlife and Fisheries with an emphasis on Fisheries.

As we've slowly gone through his fishing items, we came across 2 vintage Garcia Mitchell reels. I wondered if anyone here could tell me if they may be worth anything. Or, I guess I should phrase it as asking if the reels are worth a tangible monetary value vs simply the great memories in our hearts and minds. They look to be in very good condition. I've included some pictures...the best we could seem to capture. I would greatly appreciate any insights on these reels. My son is very much into the more "current technology," as he phrased it. But he also realizes there may be more than "just pretty to look at."

My email is DeirdreLovelace@gmail.com if you'd like to reach out directly. Again, THANK YOU in advance for any insights or info you might be able to pass my way.
406 Model SERIAL Number.jpg
406 Model SERIAL Number.jpg (581.42 KiB) Viewed 106 times
IMG_2760.JPEG
IMG_2760.JPEG (444.24 KiB) Viewed 106 times
IMG_2766.JPEG
IMG_2766.JPEG (367.51 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Attachments
IMG_2764.JPEG
IMG_2764.JPEG (621.25 KiB) Viewed 106 times

GreatLaker

Re: My Dad's 406 & 407

Post by GreatLaker »

DeirdreLovelace, :text-welcomeconfetti: Welcome to the MRM!
What a beautiful pair of reels you have! We don't often get such beautiful photos of reels and it is a joy to see these lovely reels.
Most of the active members here are interested in certain models of Mitchell reels, myself Mitchell 300 models, but we do have a few who are very interested in the 406/07 model. Unfortunately, many of us are out fishing this time of year chasing the big one's, so it may take some time to get an expert on your reels, to respond. In the meantime, I will add what little I know which may be of interest.
1968 Mitchell 306 ad-edited.jpg
1968 Mitchell 306 ad-edited.jpg (182.6 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Above, I have posted an image of a 1968 advertisement of the 406/407 model reel from Garcia. This model was distributed in the USA by Garcia, however, the reel was manufactured by Mitchell, a French company. The image in the ad looks like your reel to me but I can not say for sure. I believe the first 406 reel came out in the USA in about 1964.

"As we've slowly gone through his fishing items, we came across 2 vintage Garcia Mitchell reels. I wondered if anyone here could tell me if they may be worth anything. Or, I guess I should phrase it as asking if the reels are worth a tangible monetary value vs simply the great memories in our hearts and minds. They look to be in very good condition. I've included some pictures...the best we could seem to capture. I would greatly appreciate any insights on these reels. My son is very much into the more "current technology," as he phrased it. But he also realizes there may be more than "just pretty to look at."
I am unable to answer your question as to the value of your reels. Our stock answer is "They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them." Hopefully someone who knows more than I can give you a better answer soon.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

piscesman

Re: My Dad's 406 & 407

Post by piscesman »

OK, I did some research and came up with this. Your "G" reel is 1977. According to Dennis Roberts Value Guide your reels are later 2nd version. Roller line guide and big knobbed handle counterweight. 1st versions had the tungsten line guide and smaller smoother counterweight. Early 2nd versions still had smoother handle counterweight but roller line guide. The picture greatlaker sent is an early 2nd version. The 1968 date of picture would have had last year's pictures, so it follows the timeline. NICE, NICE reels............. 1st releases were in 1966 and 2nd 1967. 1978/79 blue and silver band on rotor with raised plastic letters on the handle side were later versions. Approx 231,986 406's made as 36,659 407's made. Hope this helps...........
Kim